January 6: Social gathering
2002 May 26 00:52

Re: [vox] .NET or Java?

I agree with Mark that it would be nice to hear about .NET; in fact, I'd
love to have a talk about Mono as well, and a comparison and contrast.

As I understand it, you don't *have* to code in C#--you can code .NET apps
using C++. As far as the GUI side goes, you get things like WinForms to
make developing windows apps easier, but the C++ interface, I've been
told, is a little cumbersome to use.

On Fri, 24 May 2002, nbs wrote:

> I recently asked me contact at O'Reilly if she could help find some speakers
> for us.  Well, one fellow, Ted Neward, happens to LIVE in Davis.
>
> His forte seems to be in Microsoft .NET, and Java.
>
> While my first though, since we're a /Linux/ users group, would be
> to have him do a talk on Java, I figured, unless the rest of the group
> would dissent, that a talk on .NET would be interesting, in that kind
> of "see what the other guy is doing" kind of way.  :^)
>
> So - what's your vote?  Prefer Java?  Or curious about .NET?
>

> Thanks!
>
> -bill!
> pr@lugod.org
> http://www.lugod.org/

R. Douglas Barbieri
doug@dooglio.net
http://www.dooglio.net

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people
   discipline themselves."

-- Thomas Jefferson