2002 May 25 07:06

Re: [vox] .NET or Java?

On Fri, 24 May 2002, nbs wrote:

> I recently asked me contact at O'Reilly if she could help find some speakers
> for us.  Well, one fellow, Ted Neward, happens to LIVE in Davis.
>
> His forte seems to be in Microsoft .NET, and Java.
>
> While my first though, since we're a /Linux/ users group, would be
> to have him do a talk on Java, I figured, unless the rest of the group
> would dissent, that a talk on .NET would be interesting, in that kind
> of "see what the other guy is doing" kind of way.  :^)
>
> So - what's your vote?  Prefer Java?  Or curious about .NET?

I am not enthusiastic about the .NETization of languages that seems to
occur when it embraces them... but I keep hoping that someone can describe
why it is so great in words that don't sound like a "rah-rah" chant.  I
have been sorely disappointed by some people I had hoped would have a
clearer head in this respect...

I have read some interviews with Miguel de Icaza, and he seems to like the
library management and language versatility.  Library managment is good,
but the language versatility comes at a pretty high cost to the integrity
of the language, and automated library management will yield fat slow
solutions as they evolve.

I have similar complaints about Java, though. The choice... Sun, or
Microsoft... sucks.  I doubt we will be able to avoid system solutions
that avoid both technologies indefinitely though, so if he wants to tackle
a bunch of linux boltheads, bring him on, and bring on a Java talk too.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing