2002 May 24 23:50

THIS is why I like Sonic :)

  • To: voxMAPS@lugod.org
  • Subject: THIS is why I like Sonic :)
  • From: nbs <nbs@sMAPSonic.net>
  • Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 15:00:34 -0700

Sonic.net don't taking being an ISP lightly :^)

--- snip ---

Fri May 24 14:16:48 PDT 2002 -- Sonic.net is moving, and telephone technical
   support will be closed on June 1st.  We will also be shutting down early
   on Friday, at 5pm to begin the move.  Support will re-open on Sunday the
   2nd at 9am.  Regular office hours for administrative staff will not be
   impacted, and our office will open at the new location at 8am on Monday
   the 3rd.  The new address is 2260 Apollo Way, Santa Rosa, CA 95407.

   Our new office offers a lot of new features for customers and staff.  New
   geographically diverse fiber rings provide even more redundancy than our
   current config, and there's a lot more bandwidth headroom for growth.

   At the new building, three fiber rings with diverse building entrances on
   three different paths from two different carriers offer speeds into the
   Nx-Gigabit range.  They circle the bay three different ways, diverse of
   any city or region, leaving Santa Rosa via multiple paths, North, South
   and East.

   The data center is raised floor, with Leibert cooling and UPS systems,
   and a 23.9 liter v-12 twin-turbocharged diesel keeps it all running in
   case of a PG&E outage.  Initially, the datacenter will hold five times as
   many cabinets as the current downtown location, but a second undeveloped
   space provides for ten times as much capacity (10,000 square feet total).

   Actual datacenter and service moves will begin around June 13th, and will
   continue into late July.  Our expectation is that various services will
   be briefly interrupted during migration, and we will post advance notice
   here in the MOTD when the dates are solidified.

   You can see the lobby at the new building at http://neteye.sonic.net/.
   We'll be bringing additional cameras in the datacenter online and
   publishing more information as time allows.  Meanwhile, please direct
   questions or discussions to news:sonic.net

   -Dane, Scott, Eli, Jen and everyone else!

--- snip ---

*Drool*

Of course, they're also very good at discovering and tracking down
issues:

--- snip ---

Tue May 21 09:44:13 PDT 2002 -- BroadLink outage.  BroadLink is experiencing a
   network wide outage. They are working to have their network back up as soon
   as possible.  Every Sonic.net account comes with backup dialup server.  To
   find a local dialup number for your area you can visit the sonic.net pop
   finder tool at:

   http://www.sonic.net/cgi-bin/pops.pl

   We will keep you informed as to the status of this outage via the MOTD.
   - Sonic.net Staff

--- followed up with: ---

Tue May 21 12:43:59 PDT 2002 -- Broadlink situation has been resolved.
   They were under a Denial Of Service from an off-site network, and
   the source has been isolated. - Eli, Support

--- snip ---

I wish they did DSL out here :^)   (not that Omsoft hasn't been _excellent_
It's just cheaper to have one ISP than two :^) )