2002 May 24 13:34

Re: [vox] OT: Folk Heroes

On 22 May 2002, Richard Crawford wrote:

> So, before I go out into the world and explain to people that one of the
> reasons why the Linux community is so cool is because it lends itself to
> the creation of folk heroes like that while the Microsoft community
> really doesn't seem to, can anyone come up with similar folk heroes for
> Windows?

I nominate Chris Maunder for the award. He has put together a wonderful
site called CodeProject where M$ programmers share code--it's a little
like SourceForge for the Windows platform. Here is the URL:
www.codeproject.com

Here is his bio:

"Chris is the Administrator, Designer, Chief Editor and Shameless VBScript
Hack who wrote and runs CodeProject. He's been programming since 1988
while pretending to be, in various guises, an astrophysicist,
mathematician, physicist, hydrologist, geomorphologist, defence
intelligence researcher and then, when all that got a bit rough on the
nerves, a web developer. He is a Microsoft MVP both globally and for
Australia locally.

His programming experience includes C/C++, C#, MFC, ASP, ASP.NET, and
far, far too much FORTRAN. He has worked on PocketPCs, AIX mainframes,
Sun workstations, and a CRAY YMP C90 behemoth but finds PCs take up less
desk space.

He dodges, he weaves, and he never gets enough sleep. He is kind to small
animals.

He's currently based in Australia and for relaxation is into
snowboarding, rock climbing, mountain biking, and storm chasing."

It does look like he works at M$, however--does this disqualify him?

--
R. Douglas Barbieri
doug@dooglio.net

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people
   discipline themselves."

-- Thomas Jefferson