2002 May 24 13:32

[vox] News about speakers & talks

Ok, so I was quite the busy PR Officer last night.

Right now, someone at IBM is looking for potential speakers for us.
(She asked what topic we're interested... I said "anything!  From mainframes
to the Linux-based watch" :^) )

Gudio van Rossum (creator of Python) has no plans to be anywhere near
the SF Bay Area any time in the near future.  (He says we look very
organized, though :^) )

O'Reilly is sending us copies of Rasmus Lerdorf's PHP book, which he's
agreed to autograph for a raffle during his talk.

Once the independent file "Revolution OS" is available on video/DVD,
we'll be able to purchase a copy for our library, and for playing during
one of our meetings.  (ETA: End of summer.)

We're still waiting to hear back from:

  CodeWeavers    (pete?)
  Google
  Insignia       (Jeode)
  KDE League
  Theo de Raat   (OpenBSD, OpenSSH)
  O'Reilly       (for potential speakers)
  Sony           (PS2 Linux kit!)
  Sharp          (for a better demo of the Zaurus)
  Sun            (for their work on Gnome)
  TiVo           (their 'TiVolutionary' quit! Waiting to hear back from others)
  Transgaming    (WineX and games)
  Trolltech      (Once they can announce some cool new product, he promised!)
  VMWare         (We did get free stuff in the meantime :^) )

I also reorganized, categorized and updated our "Wishlist" page:

  http://www.lugod.org/meeting/wishlist/

-bill!
pr@lugod.org
http://www.lugod.org/