January 6: Social gathering
2002 May 22 23:33

Re: [vox] Lugod and public schools

On Wed, 2002-05-22 at 22:28, Don Werve wrote:

> It's not quite a "subscription" model; e.g., you can run whatever
> you want, with as many clients/installations per site as you want --
> you just pay a few hundred bucks a year for us to keep writing patches
> and adding in new non-bloaty features.  Support costs extra, and I'm
> eventually going to try to get to the point where we can do on-site
> installation and training, where the end-user pays for us to come out
> and spend a few weeks training people to set the thing up and use it.

That's kind of the model I had in mind.  :)

> Even at $5K a week, it's *still* cheaper than an MS kit; look at the
> five-year cost of outfitting workstations with Windows, Office,
> Exchange; each workstation has a yearly software cost of about $300
> (with discounts), plus server costs (about another $200 per user per
> year), endless hardware upgrades to cope with load, and the need to
> have a horde of NT admins.  Comes to something like $140K a year
> more than a comprable Linux solution.

$5K/week is roughly $260,000 per year.  Is that really cheaper than an
MS kit?  I ask honestly, since I've never maintained a full MS shop.

> Which is why I'm spending my free time coding. ;)

Perhaps that's how I can justify spending all my spare time on my Linux
box to my wife: "It's for the people!"

> --
> Don Werve <donw@examen.com> (Unix System Administrator)
>
> Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
> Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford

MSN:  underpope@hotmail.com

vi vi vi - the editor of the beast