2002 May 22 22:39

Re: [vox] OT: Folk Heroes

http://www3.sympatico.ca/eric.smith4/gates.htm

This actually occurred to me _before_ I googled for it.  Like RHS, Bilge
was widely recognized as an accomplished hacker, but was also fairly
widely disliked from way back.  Non-technical and wannabe-tech people
admired the fact that he overtook all of the big faceless corporations
that controlled access to computers, and programmers tended to dislike his
attitudes about sharing code.

Philip W. Katz was pretty controversial in the 80s, because he
disassembled the then-popular ARC compression/archiving program and came
out with a faster version.  He was sued, lost, and vowed to start over
from scratch.  When he was done, the ZIP format was born, and ARC died
very quickly.

[ http://www.ddj.com/maillists/compression/do200005cm/do200005cm001.htm ]

To be fair, both of these were related to the history of DOS, not
Windows.  By the time Windows arrived, Bilge had pretty much lost any
folk idolatry. I can't think of any "folk heroes" of Windows offhand.

On Wed, 22 May 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> richard,
>
> could peter norton be considered a windows folk hero?  before he turned
> all commercial and gross.
>
> i wonder if you need to turn to journalists like john markov or steven
> levy for windows folk heros.
>
> pete
>
> begin Richard Crawford <rscrawford@mossroot.com>
> > A friend of mine, an ardent M$ junkie, asked me why I was so excited
> > that Rasmus Lerdorf is coming to speak to LUGOD.  I tried to explain,
> > and the subject turned to "folk heroes" in the GNU/Linux/OSS community.
> > I threw out names like Eric Raymond, Larry Wall, Linus Torvalds, etc.,
> > etc.  Then we tried to come up with some similar names for the M$ world,
> > and I couldn't come up with a single one.
> >
> > So, before I go out into the world and explain to people that one of the
> > reasons why the Linux community is so cool is because it lends itself to
> > the creation of folk heroes like that while the Microsoft community
> > really doesn't seem to, can anyone come up with similar folk heroes for
> > Windows?

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing