2002 May 22 22:01

Re: [vox] Lugod and public schools

On Wednesday 22 May 2002 09:28 pm, nbs wrote:
> On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 06:25:27PM -0700, Ryan wrote:
> > > are you saying they have windows 2000 on the computer we donated to the
> > > highschool?
> >
> > I was refering to thier library kiosks, I was a bit unclear, sorry, my
> > fault.
>
> It's funny (in a sad way) that someone would choose probably the most
> /expensive/ and bulky solution[*] as a _kiosk!_
>

> -bill!
>
> * - I'm guessing 2000 isn't cheap, and it's supposed to be a /server/ OS,
>     isn't it!?

Win2k comes in both server and workstation versions. Most of thier
workstations and kiosks are grossly overpowered, 933MHz P IIIs from dell with
OEM copies of Windows 2000 Professional, these things get used for web
research, word processing, and in the case of the library kiosks, some
special atabase software. Most of the workstations have had porblems with
ingorant students installing filesharing apps (which don't work because of
the firewall) and other junk that installs spyware. The district network is
so insecure that print jobs have ended up in other schools! Even some of the
most locked down computers have had thier hompages changed by
ActiveX/JScript/VBScript evilness. The administration thinks that "Our setup
works, why change it" but it really doesn't, and I know that a bunch of linux
termnials would work fine (I'm sure thier search software would work in wine
or win4lin) and could easily be made userproof with mimimal maintaince
requirements.