2002 May 21 15:11

Re: [vox] Linux TV tuner card.

I have a Voodoo 3 3500TV video card.  I got it specifically for the TV
capture ability.  At the time, my video card wasn't accelerated under X
(it was horribly slow) so I figured I'd get a new video card, and while
I'm at it, get one with TV capture card built-in so I can watch TV on my
computer and do some video encoding/editing, too.  It was very cost
effective, especially since I had no color TV.

On Linux: The drivers aren't perfect and setting up takes some work.  I
use xawtv as the TV app.  It can't to video capture with the current
setup, but IIRC the older driver could so something must have changed.  I
couldn't get Xfree 4.0 to work with it so I still use XFree 3.3.6, but
Gabe got it to work fine under Xfree 4.0 so it must be the setup (he uses
Debian I think, and I use Mandrake).  He has other problems, though... I
think he said he freezes sometimes and so forth which I don't have
problems with.

I think the best TV capture card support is with ATI brands, but I'm not
all that sure.  3dfx got sold off so maybe you can find some cheap voodoo
3s.  You also need to consider whether you want video card / tv capture
combo or just a tv tuner.

Voodoo 3's TV capture portion of the video card is made by STB.  They have
separate TV capture only cards, which you can get for less than $30 if you
do price search on Pricewatch.  But I'm not sure if the Voodoo drivers for
them work.

On Windows, Voodoo 3's card works great for everything, except the driver
seems to be buggy at times, but that's no surprise on Windows.  It comes
with a video editing software that compresses video a bit bigger than it
should but otherwise it's a great piece of software (but I've only used it
to encode videos and do video conversion, never to edit it.)  STB's TV
capture only card doesn't capture video as well as it does with the Voodoo
3's card, and it doesn't come with video editing software (at least the
version I use didn't... yes, I got both Voodoo 3 video card / capture
card and an STB capture card.)

-Mark

On Tue, 21 May 2002, Don Werve wrote:

> I'm looking for a TV tuner card for my soon to be better-and-faster Linux
> workstation; reason being that I'm *finally* moving out, and don't feel
> much like buying a TV when I've got a really nice 19" monitor.  It's not
> like I'm really a boob tube glutton anyways, so I can't really even justify
> the cost of a TV; whereas I can the cost of a video capture/TV tuner card
> (Hey, I can do my own Invader Zim encoding then).
>
> I've found a ton of projects listed that support various chipsets, but
> I can't find a good listing of *supported cards*.  Anyone have one they'd
> care to recommend?
>
> --
> Don Werve <donw@examen.com> (Unix System Administrator)
>
> Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
> Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/
PGP key available upon request.