2002 May 21 15:59

Re: [vox] Stallman on Slashdot

Quoting Eric Engelhard (eric_cl@pacbell.net):

> Ah, a personal jab. Rick, you are no longer the bastion of civil
> discourse. :-)

*I'm* an evil bastard, like pretty much any sysadmin.  But I wasn't
talking about _you_ particularly, just commiserating on your category
confusion.  (I'm also a merciless dissector of bogus rhetoric.  Ask Joe.)

And I can tell the _difference_ between interpersonal soap opera and
discussion of substantive points.  Can you?

>> You claim that's "offensive" .  I say that statement is wacked.
>
> No, I claimed that it is presumptuous. Your say that the statement is
> "wacked". An impasse.

You also claimed "offensive".

Don't you feel a bit silly indulging all the hypersensitive soap opera
stuff?  I thought this was Davis, not Berkeley.

> The trick is to be neither zealous, cynical, nor smug.

This sounds a bit like the old "moderate-fu" ploy:  Find people you
claim to be extremists, claim yourself to be a moderate in comparison,
and pat yourself on the back.  Usually, nobody notices that you've
actually said nothing of substance.

In this case, you're not specifically nominating _yourself_ as the
moderate in contradistinction to Mr. Stallman.  But it's still just a
genteel variant form of name-calling.