2002 May 21 14:41

Re: [vox] Stallman on Slashdot

Rick Moen wrote:

> Quoting Eric Engelhard (eric_cl@pacbell.net):
>
> > No, not obvious at all. The value of that variable DOES matter:
>
> I am sorry to hear about your category confusion.

Ah, a personal jab. Rick, you are no longer the bastion of civil
discourse. :-)

> The context under discussion included "involving conditions that were
> not inherently acts of war, indecent proposals, incitements to riot, et
> alii".  Stallman said to SIGLINUX, in effect, "I'm willing to speak to
> groups named GNU*.  Yours isn't named GNU*.  If you name it GNU*, I'll
> be willing to speak to it."
>
> You claim that's "offensive" .  I say that statement is wacked.

No, I claimed that it is presumptuous. Your say that the statement is
"wacked". An impasse.

> We are seeing here the juvenile aspect of American culture:  People
> decide they don't like some aspects of a public figure, and respond by
> second-guessing his motives, caviling about his personal affairs, and
> attempting to weasel-word personal criticisms into discussions of more
> significant public issues.  Almost invariably, behind the guy's back.
>
> This got old, a long time ago -- without regard to who the target du
> jour is.  It's irrelevant, disreputable, self-indulgent, and childish.
> Frankly, the open-source / free-software community knows better.

Zealots do make tempting targets because they themselves are so myopic
on issues tangential to their vision. The social visionary can't
interact well socially. The irony is thick. You say that this thread (or
parts of it) represents the juvenile aspect of American culture. The
more entertaining parts of this thread seem to me more like a bards
monologue, hardly American or modern, but yes old, like a timeless
classic.

The trick is to be neither zealous, cynical, nor smug. I'm not
emotionally invested in this issue. I have an ENORMOUS amount of respect
for what RMS has done for the open source movement. If I have offended
you personally, then please believe me when I say that it was
unintentional and that I will happily make amends over a tall beer, my
treat. I am, after all, only a member of the peanut gallery.

--
Eric Engelhard - www.cvbig.org - www.sagresdiscovery.com