January 6: Social gathering
2002 May 21 12:04

Re: [vox] Stallman on Slashdot

Quoting Eric Engelhard (eric_cl@pacbell.net):

> Why are you abstracting the argument to "foo"?

Obviously, for the very reason one always uses a metasyntactic variable:
Because the value of that variable doesn't matter, in the context under
discussion.

> He made a concrete request that the SIG change their name as a
> condition of his appearance.  It is this request that I indicated as
> presumptuous.

Yes, we know all that.  But you've failed to say how it can be possibly
presumptuous for Stallman to decide and announce in advance what's going
to decide how he spends his free time.

That was, of course, a highly rhetorical question on my part.  The point
is that calling such conditions "presumptuous" or "coercive" or "a demand"
is quite wacked.

> I'm sorry, but I refuse to continue this debate unless you change your
> name to Fred. ;-)

You don't say?

-- Cheers,
   Frederick Arthur Moen