2002 May 21 11:06

Re: [vox] Stallman on Slashdot

Quoting Rod Roark (rod@sunsetsystems.com):

> My view: I respect Stallman's contributions, but I'm gonna
> call it Linux.

That is, of course, changing the subject.

> Also I think RMS's request that LUGs change their names in
> return for his presence is offensive.

So, given his view about the proper name of the system, you would have
preferred that he _not_ offer to come to groups willing to change their
names to reflect his preferences, in order to avoid giving offence?
This doesn't seem very emotionally balanced, either.

This entire discussion reminds me of an observation I made to Eric
Raymond over dinner, a few months ago:  I said that, if you've covered
an issue well enough that rational, balanced listeners don't have anything
left to say in reply, you've created a silence that can and will be
filled by crackpot views, as the only available counterpoint remaining.