2002 May 21 10:51

Re: [vox] Stallman on Slashdot

On Tue, 21 May 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> begin joseph e arruda <zeruch@dibona.com>
> >
> > It's more of the same drivel RMS spews
>
> drivel?  i'm having a hard time understanding your position.

You would. You take everything RMS bleats as pure gospel. I don't.  We've
gone back and forth on this repeatedly, and neither of us is going to
change on it.

> the personality of our systems is firmly grounded with the GNU side
> rather than the linux side.

The 'personality' of our systems is firmly grounded in the people who
choose them (or choose to code them) which by and large has ignored the
pounding-sand rhetoric of little Ricky and his merry band of inane
sycophants.

Even people like Raster, Horms, San Mehat and Mandrake have switched to
BSD like licenses for their work because they hate Stallmans dreck so much
they wont even deign to use his licenses.

> do i care enough to start saying "gnu/linux" everytime i have a
> conversation with someone?  no.  but calling this point "drivel" is just
> completely way off mark.  i can understand RMS's frustration.  i'd be
>  frustrated too.

He's frustrated because his fucking ego isn't being stroked by the PR
equivalent of a buxom 17 year old Britney clone wearing a PVC halter top
and an Oral B mint dental floss thong like Linus has.  He always
fails to realize the following:

1. Linus is approachable, affable and presentable to a general audience (a
clean, well-kept, well-spoken, family man who happenes to be an uber-geek
is invariably more photogenic and quotable than an unapproachable,
irrascible, dirty git with a semantic chip on his shoulder the size of
Vermont).

2. He is so far out too lunch reality-wise that he just refuses to
understand that the whole world cannot operate (or wants to
operate) exactly as he does -- not everyone on Earth can survive on
University grants and donations to our own personal non-profits.
If he ever had to actually *work* in any other setting, he would be an
utter abject failure professionally.

3. He suffers from the typical academic syndrome of "oh, these people
disagree with me.  Not because they have a different opinion, but because
the obviously must be idiots, since they disagree with me, for I am
intelligent and always right."

> what do you see are the unanswered/deflected questions?

I should have worded this differently, and I'll admit that much.

It's not like this opinion of RMS is new guys.  I have had it since my
first encounter with him, and have never seen him do or say anything to
improve it since...