2002 May 21 10:42

Re: [vox] Stallman on Slashdot

Rick Moen wrote:

> Quoting joseph e arruda (zeruch@dibona.com):
>
> > Not as over the top as some, but the same hammer-handed expectations from
> > a man who wants all this freedom to do as he tells you.
>
> Actually, the man has a point on that matter:  He didn't try to order
> SIGLINUX around; he said "If you're willing to do this, then I'll be
> willing to come speak to your group."
>
> It's more than a stretch to paint that as coercive.  It's absurd.
> That dog don't hunt.

Not coercive, but presumptuous as hell. If Stallman had a point raise
(or rather, resurrect) with the Texas SIG, then he certainly could do so
by showing up and making his case. Instead he demands that SIGs concede
on the issue and alter their identity prior to his arrival.

I don't believe it is as pure as that. I think it is far more likely
that Stallman receives more speaking requests than he can field. By
using this tactic, he is able to simultaneously flog away at the
GNU/Linux issue and snub speaking requests. Is he under the illusion
that this is helping GNU?

--
Eric Engelhard - www.cvbig.org - www.sagresdiscovery.com