2002 May 21 10:51

Re: [vox] Stallman on Slashdot

begin Don Werve <donw@examen.com>
> On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 08:27:02AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > begin joseph e arruda <zeruch@dibona.com>
> > >
> > > It's more of the same drivel RMS spews
> >
> > drivel?  i'm having a hard time understanding your position.
> >
> > replace the linux kernel by the BSD kernel (but keep the GNU stuff in
> > place).  you wouldn't notice a difference.
>
> I would when my NVidia card stopped working under X.

this isn't a kernel issue.  it's a driver issue.  point taken, but it
isn't fair for what i was saying.

> The problem is that he is downright evangelical about it.

right.  i wasn't saying people find his persistence annoying.  i was
just saying i can understand his position.  man-hour per man-hour, i'll
bet just almost as much work has gone into something like the GNU C
library and gcc/egcs/g++ alone as with the linux kernel.

> Nobody asks that
> it's called Apache/Linux, even though the majority of Linux systems are
> used as webservers.

true, but apache isn't an operating system, is it?

> The XFree86 project doesn't ask for XFree/Linux, even
> though they provide the only common graphical environment -- how many of us
> would find Linux as useful without X and all the apps that run on top of it?

well, i would.  :)  in fact, i *prefer* to play my games with svgalib.
btw, there are alternatives to xfree86.  don't think that X is the only
game in town.  it's the only *free* game in town that i'm aware of, but
there are alternatives.

> Requesting that they call it "GNU/Linux" is one thing.  Being a screaming,
> sputtering idiot because they won't is childish.

i agree.  this is what joe called "transvestite with a pulled groin" or
whatever it was he said.  i find both of your analogies "screaming,
sputtering idiot" to be as abusrd as RMS's rant.  the three of you use
MUCH too strong language.  i prefer my position -- a more middle of the
road approach:

* RMS is justified in feeling put off that our systems are as much GNU
  systems as they are linux systems.

* he puts way too much energy and rants way too much about this point.

* the people that use words like "groin" and "idiot" to describe RMS are
  just as inflammatory and unreasonable as RMS is.

pete