2002 May 21 10:42

Re: [vox] Stallman on Slashdot

begin joseph e arruda <zeruch@dibona.com>

> It's more of the same drivel RMS spews

drivel?  i'm having a hard time understanding your position.

replace the linux kernel by the BSD kernel (but keep the GNU stuff in
place).  you wouldn't notice a difference.

now replace the GNU stuff with something else but keep the linux kernel
in place.  you'd know something is wrong immediately.

the personality of our systems is firmly grounded with the GNU side
rather than the linux side.

do i care enough to start saying "gnu/linux" everytime i have a
conversation with someone?  no.  but calling this point "drivel" is just
completely way off mark.  i can understand RMS's frustration.  i'd be
frustrated too.

> (he actually doesn't answer Joe
> Barrs question as much as deflect it somewhere else).

i thought he did a splended job of responding to the article.

he responded directly to the biggest accusation of all -- "SIGFREE
wasn't good enough".   RMS said straight out that joe barr got it wrong.
SIGFREE was good enough.

he responded directly to "microsoft-like strong arm tactics" that he was
accused of.

he responded directly to why "best too for the job" isn't a good thing
to live by blindly.

what do you see are the unanswered/deflected questions?

pete