2002 May 20 17:09

Re: [vox] NBLUG in need of help

Quoting nbs (nbs@sonic.net):

> BTW - I just signed up for their list yesterday, and poked in to say
> "hi, you guys need help?"  The one response so far (which I didn't
> read all of yet) mentions your "Recipe for a Successful LUG," so
> they at least know what direction they should be going in.

Well, that's flattering.  Probably the most relevant part of that essay
is the bit about needing several active members.  Those active people
need the machine access and collective knowledge required to keep things
going.

For example, there should be multiple people with edit access to the Web
site (and also multiple people with admin ability on the mailing list).
There should be a record of who has that access, and who knows how to
do it.  There should be a record of whom to contact to get involved.
There should be a record of whom to call to reserve the meeting room
(name, telephone number, office hours), how to make sure it's unlocked,
and whom to call if it isn't.  Who are the domain admins.  How to fix
DNS problems.  Like that.  And all of this should be on a Web page (or
Wiki), as collective memory.

And I'm sorry Dustin is suffering burnout.  He's had a tendency to be
NBLUG's chief cook and bottle washer, which is generous but has
disadvantages that are probably now obvious.  I imagine that the keys to
avoiding burnout are: delegate and automate.  One-man bands tend to
collapse when that one man does.