2002 May 20 11:58

Re: [vox] IF stats?

begin Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com>
> Quoting Peter Jay Salzman (p@dirac.org):
>
> > the woody disks at yesterday's installfest came from me, downloaded via
> > jigdo-lite about a week ago.  at least, i think they were there (i
> > didn't go to yesterday's IF, but gave my cd's and the lugod switch to
> > mike).
>
> Ah, OK.  I haven't used jigdo, yet -- but at least I'm not guilty of
> downloading full-sized Debian ISOs, generally.  I tend to use whatever
> minimally suffices to get Debian going, and then apt-get from the Net.

that's what i do too.  'cept we don't have net access at the IF, so that
option isn't open to us.

jigdo is remarkably easy.  and fast!  really, really fast.  i've tried
to download the woody iso's before.  midway through the first disk i
said "this blows" and gave up.

i tried to use cd-image, but i lost patience with reading the
documentation.  grabbing an iso REALLY ought not to be that difficult.
it just makes no sense...  sometimes debian gives up reason in order to
do the "right thing".  cd-image was a perfect example.  i'm glad they
moved over to jigdo.

> > we only use woody when we need to use X 4.x for new laptop chips that
> > seem to pop up at every IF.
>
> So, in my experience, it's time to say goodbye to potato / 2.2, except
> in cases of exceptional need for ultimate stability.  Large server farms
> going to woody / 3.0 with no problems is the clincher, suggesting that
> my favourable experience hasn't been a fluke.

i agree completely!

pete