2002 May 20 11:42

Re: [vox] IF stats?

> the woody disks at yesterday's installfest came from me, downloaded via
> jigdo-lite about a week ago.  at least, i think they were there (i
> didn't go to yesterday's IF, but gave my cd's and the lugod switch to
> mike).

Ah, OK.  I haven't used jigdo, yet -- but at least I'm not guilty of
downloading full-sized Debian ISOs, generally.  I tend to use whatever
minimally suffices to get Debian going, and then apt-get from the Net.

> we only use woody when we need to use X 4.x for new laptop chips that
> seem to pop up at every IF.

So, in my experience, it's time to say goodbye to potato / 2.2, except
in cases of exceptional need for ultimate stability.  Large server farms
going to woody / 3.0 with no problems is the clincher, suggesting that
my favourable experience hasn't been a fluke.

--
Cheers,     "Learning Java has been a slow and tortuous process for me.  Every
Rick Moen   few minutes, I start screaming 'No, you fools!' and have to go