January 6: Social gathering
2002 May 17 09:13

Re: [vox] MD5 Checksums and Public Downloading

Re: [vox] MD5 Checksums and Public Downloading

Quoting Micah Cowan (micah@cowan.name):

> No, I don't.  I mean a PGP signature, as described by the RFC 1991.
> Actually, though, if I'd wanted to be *really* accurate, I'd have said
> "OpenPGP" signature (RFC 2440, which is more up-to-date and open).  I'm
> referring to an open message format. I specifically avoided "GnuPG"
> because that would restrict me to only one implementation.

Wow, that's an impressively fancy way of ignoring my point.  Hand the
man a cigar.

> (not to mention that there are still people who use the "dead" Network
> Associates product).

I believe you mean dead _proprietary_ NetAss product.  ;->

> Please justify this statement.

Please offer to pay me for my time.

>> 3.  For those GnuPG signatures to be useful for authentication requires
>> a raft of other things, including reliable distribution of public keys
>> and/or an extensive web of trust.
>
> Not necessarily.  Without those things, it is true that verifying a
> signature provides no guarantee that it has not been tampered with (you
> can't be certain you hold the right key); however, it makes it much
> easier to know for *certain* that it *has* been tampered with.

Was there a specific part of the phrase "useful for authentication" that
you had a problem with?

I think we're done.

--
Cheers,     "Learning Java has been a slow and tortuous process for me.  Every
Rick Moen   few minutes, I start screaming 'No, you fools!' and have to go