2002 May 16 23:58

Re: [vox] MD5 Checksums and Public Downloading

On 16 May 2002, Micah Cowan wrote:

> If the primary purpose is simply to guard against corrupt data, I'd
> hardly think it worth the effort, considering I very rarely get
> corrupted data.

I rarely get corrupted data, either.  I know that because the MD5SUM
matches... :)

Seriously, I don't trust all the download software, especially if I stop
and resume the download several times over a download.  I don't know what
kind of algorithm they use to ensure they start downloading at the last
byte safely downloaded, so MD5 gives me some assurance.  Plus if the
server stopped transmitting, it could have had some power surge problem or
something that could have sent an invalid bit or something that won't go
noticed for years... probably unlikely, but I don't know if it's an
impossibility so I don't wanna discount the possibility.  In any case,
MD5 is a good assurance that I downloaded the 700MB ISO image correctly
and won't be wasting my time and money burning invalid CDs.

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/