January 6: Social gathering
2002 May 16 07:39

[vox] MD5 Checksums and Public Downloading

[vox] MD5 Checksums and Public Downloading

Can somebody explain to me what the point is for generating checksums
for verifying downloaded files?  If the primary purpose is security,
what is to prevent a malicious person, either "man-in-the-middle" or
someone who tampered with a repository, from generating a new MD5 sum
for you to verify?  What exactly does the checksum prevent?

If the primary purpose is simply to guard against corrupt data, I'd
hardly think it worth the effort, considering I very rarely get
corrupted data.

I should think that such things as PGP signatures would be infinitely
more valuable to ensuring the integrity of data.  Literally -- since I
still don't understand how checksums accomplish that task at all.

Micah