2002 May 16 00:03

Re: [vox] Overheard...

On Wed, 2002-05-15 at 16:55, Ryan wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 May 2002 03:15 pm, joseph e arruda wrote:
> > One of my biggest gripes has been the use of the term 'modem' for what is
> > just a fucking network gateway, amongst a whole litany of complaints of
> > how DSL companies are dorks.
>
> Modem == Modulator/Demodulator
>
> I'm pretty sure DSL modems modulate and demodulate signals..... And NICs to I
> suspect, but I'm not really sure and don't feel like looking it up.......

I don't think so - at least not what is meant by modulation in the
context of a modem.  Modems translate pure signals into changes in AC
frequency and back again, so that they will be interpreted as pitches on
the telephone (and, in fact, by your ear).  NICs and gateways don't
actually have to do this.

Micah