2002 May 15 14:28

Re: [vox] The 5 W's of "vox"...

Quoting nbs (nbs@sonic.net):

>> And you could have an amusing-tidbits mailing list called
>> "noisy-tristero".
>>
>> (Let's see how many people get _that_ one.)
>
> WOOOSH!  Right over /my/ head :)

I'm not that surprised that nobody reads Pynchon any more, but I'm a
_little_ surprised nobody's heard of the silent-tristero@world.std.com
mailing list.

Thomas Pynchon's _The Crying of Lot 49_ (1966) is a whole lot easier to
read than _Gravity's Rainbow_, anyway, and pretty hysterically funny in
parts.  http://www.readinggroupguides.com/guides/crying_of_lot_49.asp
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0060931671/002-5593053-6512008
http://www.byte.com/documents/s=441/byt20000808s0003/
http://www.metroactive.com/papers/metro/10.01.98/cover/lit-pynchon-9839.html
http://www.lindanet.net/svelte/pre-1999/lot49.html

One of the main story elements, ostensibly anyway, concerns the
heroine's search for clues to a subversive, ancient secret society,
Tristero, that operates a clandestine message-delivery system and has
its tentacles everywhyere.

So, years ago, some lit-crit type decided to name a particularly good
moderated cool-things-announcements mailing list "silent-tristero".
It turns up a _lot_ among free-software folk, and is continually
cross-referenced in places like NTK.  You _do_ know NTK, right?

Pynchon didn't just grab the Tristero meme from nowhere:
http://www.yak.net/s/tryst.html

--
Cheers,     "Learning Java has been a slow and tortuous process for me.  Every
Rick Moen   few minutes, I start screaming 'No, you fools!' and have to go