2002 May 15 08:44

Re: [vox] The 5 W's of "vox"...

On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 03:49:24PM -0700, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> I asked this before, but I never got a satisfying answer:
>
>    - Whose idea was it to use the term "vox" for our mailing lists?

I /think/ it was Pete's...

The inception of "vox" occurred some time before our third meeting
( http://www.lugod.org/meeting/past/1999.02.09.php )

>    - Why latin?  Why not German or French or Spanish?  Or English, for
>      that matter...

<shrug>

>    - Why pick such an ambiguous word?  (ie. "voice" of what?  I got
>      lots of mailing lists I subscribe to, all of which I guess are
>      voices of *something*.  AMOF, all my e-mails are voices of someone
>      else or myself!)

I never really liked that the other two lists were named after the
first.

I always though "vox-announce" should've just been "announce",
and "vox-tech" just "tech".

But, as with most naming conventions in the land of nerdy Unix users like us,
names stick, and get played off of. :)

Maybe we should start a new list called "VINV" ("VINV Is Not Vox")  ;)