January 6: Social gathering
2002 May 13 20:07

[vox] WEF wrapup

Well, we gave out 99 DemoLinux CDs in all.
(Once we were down to only one, a little while
after we gave away our 160th pamphlet, I decided
it was time to wrap up... this was at about 4pm)

I've been slowly working on a 'what the heck is this?'
page on LUGOD's website, for those who just grabbed a
CD from us, or for those having problems using the
disc.

While we did have a couple dozen folks walk up
to check us out, most of the attention we got
was from a number of us walking up to people and
saying things like:

  * Here are reasons to not use Windows
  * Learn how to stop using Microsoft!

and, simply:

  * Stop using Microsoft!

... and then shoving a pamphlet (and sometimes a
disc, too) at them.

The response we got varied... it's all interesting,
though:

A bunch of these:

  [Reasons to stop...]  "There are plenty of those!"
  (didn't take a pamphlet)

A few of these:

  [Stop using MS!]  "Stop using... Microsoft?"
  (took pamphlet)

and these:

  [Stop using MS!]  "Heh!!!"  (agreeing amusement)
  (took pamphlet)

These, which surprised me:

  "No thanks"
  (didn't take pamphlet)

...to which I usually muttered to myself: "Your loss!"

;^)

And, although this may be an artifact of being
on campus, or perhaps WEF-goers are more prone,
but we also heard a LOT of...

  "I don't... I use a Mac"

...much more than the "5%" usually quoted for
proportion of Mac users in the world...

If they're not rushing off, and didn't already take
the pamphlet, I usually asked if they ran OSX.
If they did, I gave them just the "Upcoming Events"
handout, and explained that we're cousins ;)

Anyway... it went well.  Exhausting as all get-out,
but fun.  Definitely something I'd only do once
a year, at most. :)

-bill!
wishing we had a better spot, even more volunteers,
and tons more pamphlets to go along