January 6: Social gathering
2002 May 13 20:07

Re: [vox] an astounding discovery

begin Ryan <ryan@mother.com>
> On Sunday 12 May 2002 02:24 pm, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > discovery #136:
> >
> > it is possible to accidentally touch the insides of a power supply,
> > before rectification and regulation, and live.
> >
> > however, i don't recommend it; cheap thrills are better obtained through
> > the binary usenet newsgroups...
>
> Ouch, did you get burned?

no.  it's hard to describe the sensation.  it's like your brain goes
back and forth quickly.  there were two sensations:

1- a moving back and forth sensation (but i don't think it was physical.
  i think it was just in mind).

2- a panic upon realizing what i just must have done.  sort of a "danger
  wil robinson" kind of thing.  the "danger" thought happened much
  quicker than the thought "pull my hand away".

for a few minutes afterward, i felt like i was on a caffeine high.  an
unpleasant one though.

> Just remember the one hand rule;
>
> "When working with high powered circuits keep one hand in your pocket"
>
> The idea being that this prevents a path accross your chest. You'll also want
> not to have your body grounded........

yeah, i know.  even though lucifer isn't my main system, it's my gaming
computer.  it's also the big-bruiser machine i run my simulations on
when i need for them to finish in a short amount of time.  basically,
it's my work and play computer.  there's kind of a panic that sets in
when your computer is down.  i was working way too fast.

btw, i was going to buy a new power supply from fry's.  80 bucks for a
400W amd approved supply.  the woman at the hard drive/CPU section
told me there was a case that was being cleared out.  it included a 425W
amd approved power supply.  only 32 bucks.  go figure.

the downside is that i just discovered there's one less power cable than
my last supply.  so i'm going to be without my jaz drive until i get
splitter.

ps- i just bought fallout/fallout 2 at frys.  both games combined for
$9.95.  fallout works __wonderfully__ under winex.  perfectly. it's
amazing.  for some reason i had it in my head that fallout was a fps.
it's not.  it's a modern RPG that borders on being a strategy game.
very similar to jagged alliance 2 which was ported to linux by tribsoft
(and who is no longer porting games for linux).