2002 May 10 09:35

[vox] [OT] russian holiday

i've been talking to my friend dmitry in russia who has been translating
my linux gamers' howto to russian.  he mentioned that they were
celebrating "the holidays" right now.

i couldn't think of any holidays (he just called it "the holidays"), so i
asked him about it, and he said "we're celebrating the victory of russia
over the fascists".

this was still very cryptic to me, so i went to the news and found out
what he was talking about -- the russians are celebrating their victory
over nazi germany in WWII.

this was interesting to me on a couple of accounts:

* russia celebrates victory over germany in WWII MUCH more than we do.
  we pretty much don't celebrate it.  rather, we half-heartedly make
  v-day a holiday.  over there, it's a huge national celebration, to
  this day.

* i thought it was interesting he said "the fascists" rather than what
  most americans would say -- "nazis".  i almost wonder if there's a
  value system implied here.

pete