2002 May 14 00:51

Re: [vox] wine question -- licenses

begin nbs <nbs@sonic.net>
> On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 04:45:15PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > does anyone know how wine's change to LGPL from MIT/X11 will affect
> > lindows?
>
> Dunno offhand, but it's not TOO much to worry about.
> If the code was previously (L)GPL'd, it's still (L)GPL'd, and all
> freedoms and restrictions will still apply.

i guess what i was getting at is whether the LGPL will hinder the use of
wine in lindows?   wine was previously MIT/X11 licensed.  that has no
restrictions at all (other than leaving the name of the original
author type stuff).   lgpl is *much* more restrictive from a commercial
venture's point of view.

in fact, the change to lgpl made a fork in wine.  there's now "rewind"
which is an MIT/X11 version of the now LGPL wine.

pete