2002 May 05 08:46

[vox] Peru Congressman responds to Microsoft

[vox] Peru Congressman responds to Microsoft

This is a hilarious read, in my opinion.  It isn't WRITTEN to sound funny,
but I can easily imagine that the fellow who wrote this was smirking a lot ;)

  http://www.gnu.org.pe/resmseng.html

To sum it up (it was on Slashdot today), there's a Bill in Peru which would
require all software used by the state to be "free" (eg, non-proprietary).
Someone from Microsoft's Peru offices wrote a letter against it, and this
congressman picks it apart, and brings up some VERY excellent points.

One of favorite quotes is:

  In addition, a reading of your opinion would lead to the conclusion that
  the State market is crucial and essential for the proprietary software
  industry, to such a point that the choice made by the State in this bill
  would completely eliminate the market for these firms.

*ouch!*  ;)