2002 May 03 11:44

Re: [vox] [OT] Turning rats into robots

> Pete! I just saw the rat article on the front page of the Davis
> Enterprise and logged in to tell you. Ack, you already saw it. I checked
> PETA (www.peta.com), but no comments yet.

The thing is that there is nothing about this that is any less humane than
the standard lab experiments that they do on animals anyway.  The rats
aren't being *forced* to do anything.  It is just a behavioral
conditioning thing that happens to interface directly with the brain.  And
the rats are rewarded for doing what people want by having the pleasure
centers of their brains stimulated.  We do exactly the same thing by
putting shock collars on dogs for "invisible fencing," only I bet the dogs
don't like the collars anywhere as much as the rats like the reinforcement
they receive.  And if I were a rat, I'd far rather be running around in
rubble than cooped up in a lab somewhere...

> I think it is a neat implementation of old science and no one would
> complain if it were an insect. Did I ever tell you about the PETA rep
> that explained to me that it is OK to experiment on insects because they
> are not animals? I would like to see their cladograms.

Not to mention cephalopods.  For some reason, it is legal to do anything
you want to invertebrates, regardless of how sophisticated they are.

> Eric "I've never had any of my limbs up a cow" Engelhard

--Alex "I decided I couldn't major in neuroscience when I took a class
with a prof whose entire carreer is centered around performing lobotomies
on hamsters" Thorn

"The world is my backyard"
        --Abraham deLacy Giuseppe Casey Thomas O'Malley, the alley cat