2002 May 04 13:48

Re: [vox] Win4Lin vs VMWare...

On Wednesday 01 May 2002 03:35 pm, you wrote:
> Fellow LUGODders,
>
> I am considering buying either VMWare or Win4Lin. I am sick of having my
> wife's computer going south every 5 minutes (hyperbole intended). I want
> to go Linux all the way but still give her (and me) the ability to run
> Windows apps.
>
> There is an evaluation version of VMWare available, but I can't find
> anything like that at the Win4Lin site. Anyone run either program? Is
> Win4Lin as good as VMWare? Win4Lin is a heck of a lot cheaper
> than VMWare--suffice to say, I'm leaning in that direction.
>
> Thanks!
I've used both.  VMware is sort of a BIOS, and provides a virtual disk, it's
pretty much just like running normal windows, it even crashes, and, with
Win98, doesn't shut down properly.  It's somewhat slower than native, and
doesn't run sound and games, but maybe version 3.1 does, I'm upgrading from
3.0 to 3.1 right now.  It's the most compatible; it's just running windows on
a time slice.

Win4Lin is pretty cool, it comes up fast; I couldn't get our Novell working
with it though.  It is a good product.

I would go with win4lin, the price is a lot better.

There is another alternative, if you just want to run Office, and windows
plugins, based on Wine.  Check www.codeweavers.com.  You don't need to
install windows with it.  It still has a ways to go, but is only $60 or $70.