2002 May 01 11:19

Re: [vox] Are you jobs boring?

On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 09:56:40AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> begin Richard S. Crawford <rscrawford@mossroot.com>
> > You mean Richard, not Don. ;-)
> >
> > I think our IT guys just fell victim to M$ propoganda.
> > Unfortunately, you'll find that most departments in UCD are M$
> > based, and getting a department head to change their mind is
> > just a bit easier than pulling teeth out of your own head with
> > a monkey wrench.

That's when randomly distributing email worms and virii tends to make
a difference; the Admin types won't care about the downtime, but they'll
go *apeshit* when they find out they've been down 60% of the year, and
the Physics department hasn't missed a beat...

> definitely not the academic scientific departments.

There is hope.

> physics, math, chemistry and all the engineering departments are fully
> behind linux.  in particular, the sparcs in physics are just waiting to
> die and be replaced by x86 running linux.  the office administrators use
> windows, but that's about it.
>
> last i looked, anthropology seemed windows based, but i heard a rumor
> about year ago that this was beginning to change.

Good.  I'm likely to end up with an Anthro degree, anyways...computers are a
hobby, and I'd just as happily get my degree in something else I find
interesting.

Question for VOX: I'm going to be re-entering the student world in a few
years, with about 4 years of solid Solaris/Linux system administration under
my belt, as well as some pretty gnarly Perl, C, PHP, and Java coding
skills; I'm going to have a go with starting my own software company[1],
but if that doesn't work out, how difficult a time will I have finding a
job with a university as a sysadmin?

[1] Writing inexpensive cross-platform desktop apps; something like a
    $250/yr sitewide license, plus additional support costs, and the
    idea is that you only pay if you are either commercial, want support,
    or both.