2002 May 02 11:02

Re: [vox] Are you jobs boring?

On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 11:19:00PM -0700, Richard Crawford wrote:
> Couple of illustrative dialogues from my current temp assignment:
>
> Me:  Just wondering why this department's website doesn't use Cold
> Fusion and keep the disclosure information in an Access backend.  It
> would standardize the process and make everything uniform.

You deserve to be shot for that.  ColdFusion is about as stable as a
teacup floating in the South Atlantic durring hurricaine Death[1].
Access is almost as bad; and has nasty tendancies to corrupt the hell
out of data files.

> Departmental web guy (and I swear I'm not making this up):  What's a
> backend?

The thing on top of his neck, covering the tracheal chamber pot.

> ...and...
>
> Other Clerical Guy:  I figured out how to set up Outlook to check my
> personal e-mail.  Want me to show you how?
>
> Me:  No thanks, I just use Secure CRT to SSH into my Linux box at home
> and use Mutt to check my mail there.  Blah blah blah Fetchmail blah blah
> daemon blah Sendmail blah blah blah firewall blah blah blah maybe
> install Cygwin and xfree86 components here at work...

*grin* Now you're talking.  Try Putty, though -- it's free-as-in-beer.

I used to work as a full-time Helpdesker over at EarthLink (when they
still respected their employees and their customers), and I was the only
Unix guy there.  Other people were trying to learn ASP and DHTML; I was
coding a rather complex support database in Perl...

> OCG:  Right.  Gotcha.
>
> Okay, the second one isn't fair of me, and I freely admit that I'm
> probably one of those show-offs that drives most knowledgeable IT guys
> crazy (the sysadmin at my last job told me, "You're always causing me
> trouble, aren't you Richard?"... though when I apologized he said, "No,
> that's cool, at least it's a challenge, and you haven't opened any
> viruses").

If I ever said that to a user, I'd expect them to run and hide before I
put the leeches on them.