2002 May 01 10:54

Re: [vox] /etc/apt/sources.list --- testing -> woody?

Re: [vox] /etc/apt/sources.list --- testing -> woody?

Quoting nbs (nbs@sonic.net):

> Perhaps I could just leave it at "woody" for now, to ensure I keep all
> the nifty stuff I've installed (KDE2, XF86 4, etc.), and then after
> 'things happen', switch it to 'stable.'

For perspective, the day that "potato" became the new stable track,
after the symlinks changed, I did an "apt-get update; apt-get
dist-upgrade", and got something like an improvement to three minor
packages.  That was it.

> In other words, I'm wanting to be on the almost-bleeding-edge
> (hence running testing/woody right now), but I don't currently want to
> do that with what comes along in the future... I want to stick to stable,
> now that all the things I wanted are about to be marked as such.

Well, if you want to change from testing to stable, you might want to
do that literally -- right around the time a new testing branch is
started.  But it still sounds like you want to stick to symlink names,
rather than branch names.

--
Cheers,      "Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first
Rick Moen     woman she meets, and then teams up with three complete strangers