2002 May 01 06:17

Re: [vox] /etc/apt/sources.list --- testing -> woody?

Re: [vox] /etc/apt/sources.list --- testing -> woody?

begin nbs <nbs@sonic.net>
> On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 12:08:42AM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> > > Is it safe to simply go into my /etc/apt/sources.list and replace all
> > > references to 'testing' to say 'woody' instead?
> >
> > You _could_ do that, but that would effectively mean that you're
> > backtracking from following the "testing" track to following what for a
> > while will be the "stable" track -- and then will cease to progress at
> > all, when "woody" is eventually retired to the archives.  I would
> > suggest that you really don't want to do that.
>
> Perhaps I could just leave it at "woody" for now, to ensure I keep all
> the nifty stuff I've installed (KDE2, XF86 4, etc.), and then after
> 'things happen', switch it to 'stable.'
>
> In other words, I'm wanting to be on the almost-bleeding-edge
> (hence running testing/woody right now), but I don't currently want to
> do that with what comes along in the future... I want to stick to stable,
> now that all the things I wanted are about to be marked as such.
>
> I hope I'm making sense (a little distracted as I write this)

i need to digest more fully what rick just posted (thanks rick - that
was an awesome post), but from the very quick reading i just did...

it sounds like you want to keep your sources list at "testing".  once
woody uses the stable pool, what is *now* called sid will be given a new
name and assigned the testing pool.  this will ensure your system is
"almost" bleeding edge with relative safety.  i can recall only a couple
of times that a package in woody was "broken".  but it was dumb stuff.
a file conflict between lesstif and openmotif and a dangling symlink
that got installed by yadex.  i think i recall ispell being screwed up
for 2 weeks.   can't think of anything major.

if you left your sources list as "woody" then once woody uses the stable
pool of packages, you'll have a "stable" OS.  i don't think this is what
you want.  packages in stable can get pretty musty.  potato doesn't come
with X 4.* for instance.  it also still has gimp 1.1 and libc 2.1.
it's kind of like having slackware.  except it's much more convenient to
install the outdated packages.  ;)   j/k.