2002 Apr 19 01:01

Re: [vox] Fwd: Release: Copyright Protection Law (fwd)

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> i agree with alot of what they say too.  i can't get past the gun issue
> though.  coming from new york city, washington and san francisco, i can
> only imagine what society would be like if every grandma, inbred yokel,
> elvis impersonator and lounge lizard was packing heat.  i'd be afraid to
> leave the house...  this prolly wouldn't be an issue in places like
> idaho, but when the density of population gets high, it's asking for
> trouble.

Perhaps, people would tend to be a bit more kind and respectful of others
if they did not know who was and who was not "packing heat"?

Also, going further and allowing people to become judge, jury and
executioner of others they feel are annoying, vile, contemptable, rude, or
irresponsible could "clean this country from shore to shore!"

Sure, I might end up dead if people were allowed to eliminate other people
they felt were "bugs to the global human program" but think of the
benefit! After a few brief battles, we could eventually have world peace
after we all kill each other. With only one human, or no humans, there
truly could be world peace.

> even here in davis, i was the victim of road rage.  some yokel in a van
> tried to run me down about 4 years ago.

It was probably a van owned by Microsoft. You cant trust those vans. A
perfect reason for you to carry a gun. Try picking one up at Walmart. I
suggest the over-the-counter "big gun" as used by our male cyborg agent in
"The Ghost in the Shell" to destroy that tank. You'd have enough stopping
power to deal with that MS van.... no problem.

> the only thing that saved my life were those big planters that are
> put on streets so that bicycles can get through but not cars (i was on
> a motorcycle).  if the dude was "insured by smith and wesson", there's
> a distinct possibility that i would be dead right now...

Well, being dead is not much fun. Not that I know what it is like, just an
estimate of how it feels to stay in bed too long - I can imagine what it
would be like to lie in a plot, 6 feet under, while worms crawl through my
brain. Seems like it would be boring. Of course, if you had a gun, you
could shoot and kill the driver and be justified. If the driver of the van
is using lethal force to kill you (a car or van does count as lethal
force) you can argue in court it was self defense. (This is not legal
council, just an review of things that have worked before.)

-ME