2002 Apr 13 23:02

Re: [vox] Servers vs Workstations /VNC (was Re: Good LUG HOW-TO by Rick

Re: [vox] Servers vs Workstations /VNC (was Re: Good LUG HOW-TO by Rick Moen)

Quoting Steven Peck (speck@blkmtn.org):

> I'm betting that you have a big monitor.  :)

17".  What I can carry without a hernia.

But I also tend to use virtual workspaces under WindowMaker, a blessedly
non-mouse-dependent window manager inspired by NeXTStep.  Alt-1, Alt-2,
etc. will move me among workspaces, while Alt-Tab cycles among open X
clients within them.

And, unlike the case with KVMs, I can mark-and-paste among all of those,
regardless of which OS and which host machine the process is running on.

> Dual booting is a serious interuption in that if you are learning, the
> boot process gets in the way and as such, you tend to slowly drift into
> one environment (generally Windows).

Exactly.  And newcomers almost always say they want it, thereby
shortchanging themselves up front.

> I prefer my data be centrally stored on systems that get backed up
> periodically and NOT messed with, as a result I tend to dedicate that
> system as a server.

This might be called the Pudd'nhead Wilson Strategy:  "Put all your
eggs in one basket, and watch that basket."

Works for some.

> When I get the DSL setup right again, I will have a system or two on a
> DMZ that will also be 'servers'.

Ah, another firewall believer, I see.  ;->

--
Cheers,               A host is a host, from coast to coast.
Rick Moen             And nobody talks to a host that's close,