2002 Apr 13 12:47

Re: [vox] Re: Good LUG HOW-TO by Rick Moen

Re: [vox] Re: Good LUG HOW-TO by Rick Moen

Quoting Steven Peck (speck@blkmtn.org):

> Ummmm...... KVM?  :).

Yes!  There are situations where a KVM is the only solution, and worth
its weight in gold.  Off-hand, I imagine that if you were doing
Photoshop, CADD, or anything else that was extremely graphics-intensive,
then any remote-imaging solution (like VNC) would be painful at best.

The point of VNC and kin, as opposed to KVMs and such, is to be able to
not have to switch back and forth between different envvironments on
different switch positions, but rather be able to stay in your single
desktop environment of choice, and be able to have _within_ it sessions
that are running on other machines talking to their native programming
interface on the machines where they're running.

Dual-booting has the same problem as KVMs, only much worse:  You don't
get a chance to leverage the primate advantages of an *ix environment of
being able to support long-lived processes (becuase of reboots) and the
presence of pervasive network capability (because of using only a single
host).

And I've found that a lot of people never would have thought of running
more than one computer:  They think LANs are exotic, that every
additional machine means more desk space taken up by an extra
monitor/keyboard/mouse set, and that extra computers are too expensive.
And, in the MS-Windows world, all of these things are right.  But I'm
always at some pains to tell them that _all_ of them becoome obsolete
assumptions when one enters the *ix world.  And that they'll get a lot
more mileage out of *ix after adjusting their assumptions.

> The problem is monitors.  So, a KVM switch solves some problems and
> remote management of servers the other.

Indeed, except that, with VNC and similar, you also get a greater
continuity of computing experience.

(The notion of machines being neatly dedicated to being "servers" is one
of the other troublesome assumptions one loses over time.  In my house,
if it has a CPU in it, it's probably a server for some things and a
client for others.)

> At some point I will give the vnc method a shot.  If/When I do, I will
> probably write it up and throw it on my site. www.blkmtn.org (some
> links broke do to an excemptionally long lack of time -soon  :)

Looking forward to it!

--
Cheers,                              "Azathoth need not be present to win."
Rick Moen                                       -- Charles O. Baucum, Jr.