2002 Apr 12 21:41

RE: [vox] Re: Good LUG HOW-TO by Rick Moen

-----Original Message-----
From: vox-admin@lists.lugod.org [mailto:vox-admin@lists.lugod.org] On
Behalf Of Rick Moen
Quoting Steven Peck (speck@blkmtn.org):

> As to rule #23, well, I was refering to web LUG site's that were
> obviously created in FrontPage etc...

Yep.  Seems lacking faith in the home team, doesn't it?

<SP>  My current site is actually on a friends Red Hat box and as soon
as I get the DSL routing thing straigtened out at home, I intend to
deploy it here as well.  I find I don't learn unless I have 'real' stuff
I'm doing.

> Oh yes, before someone points it out, I use an MS email client.

Not the same thing:  You're not sending out announcements on behalf
of a Linux user group.  That's the sort of thing I was talking about in
the essay.

<SP>  True.

You know:  You see what's supposed to be a Linux user group, but its Web
site is Front Page, all the officers' announcements were sent using
Outlook, and the mailing list is on Yahoo Groups.  Just doesn't lend
confidence.

<SP>  Also true.

But I really do have some enthusiasm for some of the Linux mail clients
the essay points to.  A lot of them are getting really, really slick.
You might want to try a few.

<SP>  Again, I plan too.  Just have to finish re-updating my MS Certs
:(  <sigh>  Next up is looking at the Red Hat certs  :).  I find that
studying for the certs exposes me to area's of the OS that I might not
normally be exposed to or consider.

And nobody said you should dispense with your Win32 stuff, if it solves
problems for you and you like it.  One trick I personally really like is
putting your Win32 machine in the corner and run any Win32 applications
you still need remotely via VNC from the comfort of your nice X11
desktop.  Worth a try, if you have two machines (or can get even a cheap
used P133 to serve as your second box running Linux).

<SP>  Ummmm...... KVM?  :).  I have a few systems suitable and slated
for Linux.  One is for Web/Mail Server deployment for hosting 4 sites
and the other is going to be a remote workstation for my wife and I to
X-Window into for stuff.  Another will be for 'vistors' to use for web
surfing such as my dad or inlaw's visiting.  Old P233's and such are
inexpensive and if you have server based storage, hard drives also
accumulate in the IT.  The problem is monitors.  So, a KVM switch solves
some problems and remote management of servers the other.

More at:  http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/linux-info/vnc-and-alternatives

<SP>  VNC is a good idea at home or on a serve you control (actually
used it in a production environment for 3 years), but the Internet
accessable one I have access to is not under my root control, soooo.....
Cygwin tools, XFree86 on Windows.  Ssh in and export the apps I need
works adaquatly for now.  At some point I will give the vnc method a
shot.  If/When I do, I will probably write it up and throw it on my
site. www.blkmtn.org (some links broke do to an excemptionally long lack
of time -soon  :)

-sp