2002 Apr 12 17:53

Re: [vox] Re: Good LUG HOW-TO by Rick Moen

Re: [vox] Re: Good LUG HOW-TO by Rick Moen

> i think rick's intention was don't enter business committments.

What _he_ said.

For a long time, I was editor of San Francisco PC User Group's 40-page
monthly newsletter, _Blue Notes_.  During the middle of my tenure, some
bunch of characters talked most of the officers (not me) into entering
into some business venture, which I vaguely recall being supposedly good
for the community.  (At least they didn't get the group as a whole
sucked in.)  Pretty much all of them ended up getting taken for a ride,
losing money, getting their income taxes screwed up, etc.

A Linux group I know of almost collapsed over its attempt to got into
the Web-design & hosting business.  And so on.

Even if a group does _well_ at whatever business venture du jour is
attracting people's enthusiasms, the conduct of the group's affairs
becomes enormously more complex, and everything needs to be tightened
up.  Of coure, if you _don't_ tighten up (proper records, business
taxes, and so on), eventually you have much bigger problems.

And the sad thing is that the lines of business I've seen LUGs sucked
into _always_ seem to be highly competitive fields where even the pros
are barely surviving on razor-thin business margins.   I swear, it must
be some sort of lemming instinct.

--
Cheers,   "Why is the alphabet in that order?  Is it because of that song?"
Rick Moen                                              -- Steven Wright