2002 Apr 11 19:18

Re: [vox] Upcoming meeting news!

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 04:16:32PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> begin nbs <nbs@sonic.net>
> >
> > LUGOD has got some cool meetings coming up for the new few months!
> >
> > Here's the current line-up!
> >

> >   This Monday, April 15th   (Tax day!)
> >
> >     Verbus M. Counts on the VI editor
> >     (he's been using it for a long, long time)
>
> will this be vi or vim?

It could be that he's doing a general history of the beast, and all the
variations that popped up.

Here's his blurb (from our website):

        Vi ("vee eye") is a visual text editor which was developed
        by Bill Joy in 1976.  He took the sources of 'ed' and 'ex',
        two line-based editors for Unix, and created Vi.
        Since then, it has evolved into many different versions for
        many, many platforms.  Vi is one of the core tools that all
        sysadmins should feel comfortable using, as it should be
        available on all Unix systems (unlike other popular Unix editors).

I think Verbus is on vox.  Maybe he can answer your questions more
specifically.  You out there, Verbus?

<snip>
> >   Tuesday, June 4th   (keep an eye on this meeting!!!)
> >
> >     Robin Gross, an attorney for the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF)
> >
> >     http://www.lugod.org/meeting/upcoming/#2002.06.04
>
> how does that woman have the wil to do all the travelling and promoting
> that she does?

I dunno.  But this should be a cool event.  Hopefully really, really big. ;)
(Some of you know what I'm talking about. >:^) )

> she must have one of the busiest schedules out of
> anyone i know.  i hear she like wheat crust on pizzas.   we should get a
> few for that meeting.

We can do this.  Any suggestions as to what place to get them from?
(I know you like Woodstocks, Pete)

> > We also might have someone from Jim Henson's Creature Shop come up
> > to talk about their use of Linux and Open Source!  (No idea when, yet.)
>
> ooooooo-yeaaaaaah.....

Yeah.  This fellow cropped up on the SDL mailing list and was like:
"Here, I've made a patch that allows SDL to do audio input, not just output"

I e-mailed him privately and said "sounds like you're using Linux?
Want to come talk about it?" :)