2002 Apr 11 15:10

Re: [vox] Fwd: Release: Copyright Protection Law (fwd)

Re: [vox] Fwd: Release: Copyright Protection Law (fwd)

This bill would be impossible to effectively implement
because of legacy hardware and the pure existence of
general purpose computing.  That and any encryption or
watermarking would be too large a target for academia
or people that are not bound by U.S. law.

<obviously causing=trouble>
Got to love the Libertarians... I agree with them more
often than not, too bad they usually only have an
icecube's chance in hell for most political offices.
Many times a vote for their candidate is a wasted vote,
though it may cancel out a wasted vote for Nader :-).
</obviously>

Joel

On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 09:06:47PM -0700, R. Douglas Barbieri wrote:
> Here's the Libertarian Party's official line about the CBDTPA.
>
> --
> R. Douglas Barbieri
> doug@dooglio.net
> www.dooglio.net

> Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 18:05:25 -0400 (EDT)
> To: announce@hq.lp.org
> Subject: Release: Copyright Protection Law
> From: Libertarian Party Announcements <owner-announce@lp.org>

> ===============================
> NEWS FROM THE LIBERTARIAN PARTY
> 2600 Virginia Avenue, NW, Suite 100
> Washington DC 20037
> World Wide Web: http://www.LP.org
> ===============================
> For release: April 10, 2002
> ===============================
> For additional information:
> George Getz, Press Secretary
> Phone: (202) 333-0008 Ext. 222
> E-Mail: pressreleases@hq.LP.org
>
> New copyright protection bill would turn
> government into entertainment 'rent-a-cop'
>
> WASHINGTON, DC -- The Consumer Broadband and Digital Television
> Promotion Act (CBDTPA), a bill that would supposedly reduce digital
> piracy, should be rejected by Congress because it would turn the
> government into a "rent-a-cop" for the entertainment industry, the
> Libertarian Party said today.
[...]