2002 Apr 08 08:29

[vox] From StarOffice to Kinkos: PS, PDF?

[vox] From StarOffice to Kinkos: PS, PDF?

Desktop publishing problem. We have Red Hat 7.2 and StarOffice 6.0 beta at home (no KDE 3.0 update--yet), and an HP DeskJet 500 inkjet printer. Thinking of going to OpenOffice.

Needing to laser-print some nice-looking documents (some pages in color), my spouse saved her file in (gak!) Word95 format and took her floppy to Kinko's.

Kinko's MS Word apparently didn't have the same fonts there. She then spent 2+ hours at Kinko's reformatting what HAD been a perfect StarOffice document--just so she could print the bloody thing. Oh, and after the editing, the file was > 1.44Mb, so it would no longer fit on a floppy. (thanks, MS >:-( .

*** I DON'T want to go this route!   Postscript take me away!!! ***

I just *know* there's a solution that involves saving as Postscript and/or converting to PDF (ps2pdf?) , thereby only needing, say, Mac or Win Adobe Acrobat at the Kinko's end, and only printing the file, not editing it. I expect it would come out exactly the same as viewed at home.

Anyone have DTP experience with Kinko's or any other publishing vendor?
Do they accept ftp submissions for those larger orders?

--john

  .     .               John C. Alden  <jcalden@dcn.davis.ca.us>
  |\___/|                       and <jcalden_www@yahoo.com>
 >> O O <<
|  | | |  |  ## PURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR