2002 Mar 27 07:54

Re: [vox] Fwd: New Bill attempts to regulate hardware, softwaredevelopme

Re: [vox] Fwd: New Bill attempts to regulate hardware, softwaredevelopment

On Tue, 26 Mar 2002, Joel Baumert wrote:

> Some large government standard for encryption of digital content
> is probably doomed to failure.  It becomes too large a target
> for people to screw with it and one or two weak links unravel
> everything.

I wish I were so optimistic.

> The idea that they will be able to place some hardware in a
> general purpose computer that will somehow recognize that the
> song file that I'm copying to a backup tape is being illegally
> copied is ludicrous.  Ignoring the fair use problems, I don't
> think that it is a tractable problem... In fact it may be
> undecidable.  I know we should have the halting law saying
> that all programs be run through a program that verifies the
> program halts...  doh... that is undecidable, but it is the
> law so we had better do it...

Tomatoes are legally defined as vegetables.

http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/comm/staff/zakour/faq/faq_search.cgi (search
for "defined").

Pi was defined as 3.2 by the Indiana state House of Representatives.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jlawler/aux/pi.html

The conformance of law with scientific or mathematically accepted views is
optional.  We only hope that they do... and with appropriate messages to
the legislators, they may yet.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing