2002 Mar 26 18:18

Re: [vox] Fwd: New Bill attempts to regulate hardware, software developm

Re: [vox] Fwd: New Bill attempts to regulate hardware, software development

Some large government standard for encryption of digital content
is probably doomed to failure.  It becomes too large a target
for people to screw with it and one or two weak links unravel
everything.

The idea that they will be able to place some hardware in a
general purpose computer that will somehow recognize that the
song file that I'm copying to a backup tape is being illegally
copied is ludicrous.  Ignoring the fair use problems, I don't
think that it is a tractable problem... In fact it may be
undecidable.  I know we should have the halting law saying
that all programs be run through a program that verifies the
program halts...  doh... that is undecidable, but it is the
law so we had better do it...

Place the protection on the hard drives well... I guess I'll
rot13 the song before copying it to the harddrive... In fact
I'm not sure how that would work anyways because a driver
for an OS could be easily written that slightly (or radically)
changes the content in a reversible way.

The idea that there will be a secure encrypted channel from
the media to the speakers ignores the fact that most people
will not buy new hardware for a long time.  I doubt that the
industry would support large portions of their market to dry
up, so there will be some 1/2 measures with software buried
in the operating system or codecs to do the protection.  At
that point some minor in a country that does not have the
SSSCA or the DMCA will publish a program on the Internet that
allows people to see the content... oh wait... that sounds
familiar...

Will it pass... Hopefully not... There are plenty of large
corporate special interests oppose this so it is probably a
nonstarter anyways.

Joel

On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 03:03:03PM -0800, Shwaine wrote:
[...]
> Senator Hollings is attempting to regulate hardware and software
> development. The bill can be reviewed here:
> http://cryptome.org/broadbandits.htm
>
> Concerned software developers can submit comments here:
> http://judiciary.senate.gov/special/input_form.cfm?comments=1
>
> You can review other peoples comments here:
> http://judiciary.senate.gov/special/input_form.cfm
>
> The following senators also support this Bill:
> Ted Stevens (R-Alaska), Daniel Inouye (D-Hawaii),
> John Breaux (D-Louisana) and Dianne Feinstein (D-California).
>
> There is a mailing list discussing these issues here:
>

> ----- Forwarded message from Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com> -----
>

> As a bonus, here's a section-by-section summary of the bill:
> http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,51275,00.html
>
> And a collection of info on the Consumer Broadband and Digital
> Television Promotion Act (CBDTPA):
> http://www.politechbot.com/docs/cbdtpa/
>
> -Declan
>
> ---