2002 Mar 27 00:12

Re: [vox] [OT] Smoothing out the powerline signal?

Re: [vox] [OT] Smoothing out the powerline signal?

Mark-

ME wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Mar 2002, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> > On Tue, 26 Mar 2002, ME wrote:
> > > How close is your fridge to your computer and other devices?
> It does not take much in the way of a strong magnetic field to
> impact a CRT. A simple example can be found when taking a magnet and
> bringing it close to the screen. (Please avoid doing this, as it can
> damage your monitor over time.)

My monitor is about 2-3 feet away from Joel's monitor on the other size
of the cube wall, and my screen bounces each time he turns it on (due
to the degauss pulse).  If your monitor is fairly close to the fridge,
my bet is the field from the compressor starting is causing the problem.

The way (as mentioned by others) to test this theory is to put the
refrigerator and monitor on separate circuits to ensure that your
APS isn't bad...  run an extension cord to a wall socket on the other
side of the building :v)

				-Lynn

p.s. - I've also seen magnetic fields affect monitors 50 feet away,
but that was a 1 Tesla magnet (~100,000 times Earth's field) at a nuclear
physics experiment -- a screwdriver would point up in the air
along the field lines 10 feet away...