2002 Mar 28 18:11

Re: [vox] Zen and the Art of System Maintenance

Re: [vox] Zen and the Art of System Maintenance

ok, i was going to post this a few weeks ago, but didn't.  now that the
title (s/System/Motorcycle/g) came up, i figure, what the hey.

i had a very old copy of 'zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance'.
it's one of my favorite books in the whole world.   a few weeks ago i
noticed it missing.  i can't imagine lending this thing out to anyone,
but just on the offchance that i went momentarily insane, if i lent it
out to anyone here, can you let me know?

pete

begin nbs <nbs@sonic.net>
> On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 07:47:27AM -0800, Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> > I'm beginning to see that maintaining a Linux box, even if it's just a
> > single-user environment, is as much an issue of philosophy as it is
> > technical.  Where do I install new applications?  Should I install this
> > version of Mozilla as root or in my user account only?  ...And so on.
>
> or:
>
>   tar -xzf foo.tar.gz
>   cd foo
>   ./configure
>   make
>   make install

actually, you may want to pass a prefix= to the configure invocation.
if you're compiling from cvs, you may need to do an ./autogen or
./bootstrap to generate the autoconf stuff.   :)