2002 Mar 22 10:22

[vox] Zen and the Art of System Maintenance

[vox] Zen and the Art of System Maintenance

I'm beginning to see that maintaining a Linux box, even if it's just a
single-user environment, is as much an issue of philosophy as it is
technical.  Where do I install new applications?  Should I install this
version of Mozilla as root or in my user account only?  ...And so on.

Since the only background I have that even remotely resembles system
administration is in Windows, I don't have much experience maintaining a
Linux box.  What are some good resources for learning the more ethereal
philosophical, aesthetic, and ethical issues of maintaining a *nix system?

Sliante,
Richard S. Crawford

http://www.mossroot.com
AIM: Buffalo2K   ICQ: 11646404  Y!: rscrawford
MSN: underpope@hotmail.com

invisible to the eye."  --Antoine de Saint Exupéry

"Push the button, Max!"